Monday, June 2, 2008

Hillary; maybe for you, but not for me

Editors Note: This is the first post by Erin, a new contributor to August Prairie. She'll be provided assistance on this blog as we head on through the general election. 

As Hillary's campaign (hopefully) is seeing its last few agonizing days, I'd like to put in my two cents...the one girl (am I woman now? I don't feel like it) who doesn't want to see Hillary in the White House.

Hillary and her various sycophants have chorused like clockwork that the campaign trail was biased against her because she's a woman. The argument usually goes that opinions against her must stem from the fact that simply, she has a uterus.

What isn't being recognized by her close and personal yes-men is that, frankly...she's offering nothing new in her campaign. Her gender alone appeals to feminazis, working women, and the more "conservative" (although I'm not necessarily meaning Republican) housewives. "You go, working woman!" As a female, supporting anyone else should, by sycophant logic, make me a disgrace to my gender.

Simply; she is a woman running for president. She must be revolutionary!

If gender alone was the prerequisite for one's opinion on leadership, then it wouldn't matter if it was Hillary. It could literally be any woman. Not that women haven't ran before; Hillary has one more "secret weapon".

"Experience". By which I mean, she has Bill. People know her simply because Bill was in the White House, and so some people see this as her "returning home." Granted, I was only a kid during the Clinton administration, but as far as I remember, all she did was endorse the Pizza Hut reading program on some flyer or handout I once recieved at school.

Now to tie this little roundabout post together; as much as I love Pizza Hut, I'm instead putting my trust, my hope, and my vote to Barack Obama. It's time for some new ideas and a fresh face in the White House. "He lacks experience." "He's too passive and naive." Sounds kind of familiar...lets see...I can sort of recall someone only serving one term in the House of Representatives before winning an election...hmmm....anyhow, Hillary's tired campaign of promises that everyone has heard before means nothing to me. Those who aren't looking at gender in her campaign are pulling for her because they are afraid of change. It's easy to hide behind a facade of change, even when the "new" factor is an unrelated variable such as an extra X chromosome.

Same bullcrap. Different gender. Some revolution, eh?

No comments: