Monday, June 16, 2008

Rural Votes tills up the Field

Today I discovered that Al Giordano, the writer of the blog known as "The Field", had vacated his space at Rural Votes and move his blog here. That explains a lot, as I was wondering what had happened to his blog (and why they were cross-posting their other blog).

From the sound of it, Giordano left because Rural Votes censored a post of his referencing Saul Alinksy. While they are certainly in their right to do that, they shouldn't do that, as it just isn't good blogging (or journalistic) policy.

Like all controversies involving censorship that leads to firings or resignations, it isn't so much the act that puzzles me as the cover-up. You can't access old material at the old site, and no comments related to the issue appear to be getting through their approval. They are basically acting like nothing happened, sending his posts down the memory hole.

It is that type of behavior that takes simple content differences to a place that gets me very annoyed. ESPN did this with Gregg Easterbrook after he made some really stupid comments about Michael Eisner. It isn't so much his getting canned by ESPN that pissed me off, but their lack of acknowledging what happened, or even acknowledging he had been a contributor to Page 2.

I'm withholding judgment until I get the other side of the story. But if that never happens, I must say that I will be disappointed in Rural Votes.

No comments: