Monday, January 28, 2008

Obama Speeches: 2004 Democratic Convention

Part One



Part Two



Here is the momentous speech where Senator Obama entered the national stage. I must admit that before this speech I had not heard of him, even though he was the leading candidate to be my next senator. His speech, and the subsequent victory in November, was the lone bright spot in a very disappointing election year.

From the bitter disappointment towards President Bush, to the incredible apathy towards Kerry, I really was not all that engaged in the 2004 Presidential race. It certainly wasn't very interesting, as Bush ran unopposed for the GOP nomination, and Kerry had it wrapped up after Super Tuesday. As the Democrats headed towards Boston for their four day festival of balloons and bullcrap, I yawned in anticipation.

For a while, I decided not to really pay attention to the conventions. I rethought that decision when I started hearing the buzz about the keynote speaker on one of the nights. He was a relatively young state senator from my home state. His name was Barack Obama.

I tuned into CNN that night, hoping for an entertaining speech. Senator Obama did not disappoint. His speech was heads and shoulders above anything I had heard from a political candidate, ever. It was a speech that spoke to a different type of politics, a philosophy that was so vastly different from the politics of the day. Instead of "wedge issues" and "swiftboating", Obama spoke to a sense of purpose, a sense of unity. He spoke to the idea that although Republicans and Democrats may have differences, what unites us is much stronger.

Needless to say, I was hooked. The moment he finished his speech, I was looking forward to 2008. When Kerry went on to lose to Dubya in November, the thought that Obama would be there in four years made it sting less. Many times in the four years since that warm July night I have watched that beautiful speech, and renewed my hope for the future. My only hope is that the speech is eclipsed by his acceptance speech for the nomination in Denver, and at his inauguration on January 20, 2009.

No comments: